In many cookery shows, I had seen recipes using white wine, but never gave much attention to them, as they were mainly non veg. Though I am a vegetarian, I cook chicken for my hubby (story here). A friend had gifted us with a bottle of nice white wine, when he had visited us last Saturday. It was indeed a great wine and though we drank most of it we were still left with 1/2 cup of wine. So thought of using it in my cooking.
I generally cook chicken on special occasions or when somebody is visiting us, but this time I cooked for the sake of experimenting with white wine. I read couple of recipes on few website and on youtube And the one I got convinced to adapt from was Grilled Chicken Cordon Bleu with White Wine and Lemon Cream Sauce.
The base of the recipe is same but I included some and excluded some ingredients according to our taste. I excluded Ham as hubby doesn’t like it and added milk, mushrooms, chilli flakes, Master food’s Italian Herbs and Mixed Spice. I also cooked the grilled chicken in the sauce for a minute instead of just pouring the sauce over the grilled chicken.
2 Chicken Breasts
2 tsp Honey
2 tsp Dijon Mustard
2 tsp Olive oil
2 Cheese slice ( i used Gouda with paprika)
Salt and Pepper
2-3 mushroom, sliced
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 tsp Butter
1 tsp Oil
Zest of ½ lemon
½ cup white wine
½ cup milk
Salt, Pepper, Chilli Flakes, Italian Herbs and Mixed Spice.
- Preheat the oven to 220 degrees.
- Slice the chicken breast from the side to open it, but don’t cut till the end.
- Brush both the opened sides of the chicken breasts with oil, honey and Dijon mustard.
- Place the chicken slice. I had a wedge of 100gms Paprika Gouda cheese, so i put the cheese shavings on both side.
- Sprinkle the salt and pepper and fold the both sides of the chicken breasts back to the original shape.
- Brush the outer side of the chicken breast with oil and grill it in the oven for 20-15 minutes or until it turns white and grill marks appear and change the side first after 15 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan add butter.
- Add onion and sauté till it turn pink and then add mushrooms and cook it on medium heat.
- Add lemon zest, mix. Add lemon juice, mix and White wine , simmer it till it liquid remains half.
- Add milk and cream and cook it until slightly thick but don’t let it boil.
- Sprinkle Salt, Pepper, Chilli Flakes, Italian Herbs and Mixed Spice and Mix.
Finally add the cheese grilled chicken to the sauce and let it cook it sauce for a minute. You may slice the chicken if you want to and then add it to the sauce. I added the whole breast.
Serve it hot with baguette.
My husband loved it!! i had served him both the breasts but as they were too heavy he could eat only one, and soI froze the other!!!