Pages

Monday, February 27, 2012

Grilled Chicken with White Wine Sauce

In many cookery shows, I had seen recipes using white wine, but never gave much attention to them, as they were mainly non veg. Though I am a vegetarian, I cook chicken for my hubby (story here). A friend had gifted us with a bottle of nice white wine, when he had visited us last Saturday. It was indeed a great wine and though we drank most of it we were still left with 1/2 cup of wine. So thought of using it in my cooking.

I generally cook chicken on special occasions or when somebody is visiting us, but this time I cooked for the sake of experimenting with white wine. I read couple of recipes on few website and on youtube And the one I got convinced to adapt from was Grilled Chicken Cordon Bleu with White Wine and Lemon Cream Sauce.

The base of the recipe is same but I included some and excluded some ingredients according to our taste. I excluded Ham as hubby doesn’t like it and added milk, mushrooms, chilli flakes, Master food’s Italian Herbs and Mixed Spice. I also cooked the grilled chicken in the sauce for a minute instead of just pouring the sauce over the grilled chicken.

Ingredients:
2 Chicken Breasts
2 tsp Honey
2 tsp Dijon Mustard
2 tsp Olive oil
2 Cheese slice ( i used Gouda with paprika)
Salt and Pepper
Sauce:
2-3 mushroom, sliced
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 tsp Butter
1 tsp Oil
Zest of ½ lemon
½ lemon
½ cup white wine
½ cup milk
½ cream
Salt, Pepper, Chilli Flakes, Italian Herbs and Mixed Spice.

Method:

Chicken
  1. Preheat the oven to 220 degrees.
  2. Slice the chicken breast from the side to open it, but don’t cut till the end.
  3. Brush both the opened sides of the chicken breasts with oil, honey and Dijon mustard.
  4. Place the chicken slice. I had a wedge of 100gms Paprika Gouda cheese, so i put the cheese shavings on both side.
  5. Sprinkle the salt and pepper and fold the both sides of the chicken breasts back to the original shape.
  6. Brush the outer side of the chicken breast with oil and grill it in the oven for 20-15 minutes or until it turns white and grill marks appear and change the side first after 15 minutes.



Sauce:
  1. Heat oil in a pan add butter.
  2. Add onion and sauté till it turn pink and then add mushrooms and cook it on medium heat.
  3. Add lemon zest, mix. Add lemon juice, mix and White wine , simmer it till it liquid remains half.
  4. Add milk and cream and cook it until slightly thick but don’t let it boil.
  5. Sprinkle Salt, Pepper, Chilli Flakes, Italian Herbs and Mixed Spice and Mix.
Finally add the cheese grilled chicken to the sauce and let it cook it sauce for a minute. You may slice the chicken if you want to and then add it to the sauce. I added the whole breast.



Plate the chicken breast and pour the remaining sauce over it.

Serve it hot with baguette.


My husband loved it!! i had served him both the breasts but as they were too heavy he could eat only one, and soI froze the other!!!

No comments: